The University of the Holy Qur’an and Islamic Sciences was founded under the University of the Holy Qur’an and Islamic Sciences Act enacted in 1990. As of 21.11.1410 H corresponding to 14.9.1990 AD, the university located in Omdurman city, has become an academic institution and a body corporate with perpetual succession and a common seal with authority to establish branches in the other states. And that was pursuant to the 1990 Conference on Higher Education recommendations to incorporate the Faculty of the Holy Qur’an (1401 H / 1981 AD), and Omdurman Scientific Institute (1403 H / 1983 AD) which was comprised of the Faculties of Sharia, Arabic Language and Female Student Faculty, to constitute the University of the Holy Quran and Islamic Sciences. This was followed by establishment of the faculties of Da’wah & Information, Economics, Administrative Sciences, Education, Graduate Studies, School of Languages, Community and Faculty of Computers and Information Technology in addition to a number of centers and institutes in different states in Sudan.
The University awards the following academic degrees:
The University enjoys membership of Union of Sudanese Universities, Association of African Universities, Union of Arab Universities, Federation of the Universities of the Islamic World (FUIW), and League of Islamic Universities. It also has a cooperative relationship with the Islamic Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization (ISESCO).